New Research from Brightcove Finds Video Content Impacts Product and Service Purchases, Particularly by Millennial Consumers
Study found that 85 percent of consumers between the ages of 18-34 report they’ve purchased a product or service after viewing a video
When analyzing consumer preferences in relation to marketing-specific content, there were three key takeaways that highlight video as one of the most powerful forms of content:
- Video is the most memorable form of content: 21 percent of consumers overall and 29 percent of Millennials find video more memorable than other forms of content. Video was ranked significantly higher than other forms of content such as display ads (13 percent), email marketing (9 percent), case studies (4 percent), text ads (2 percent), among others, which all ranked lower than 4 percent of overall consumers.
- Video engages consumers more than any other form of content: 45 percent of consumers overall and 56 percent of Millennials feel that video is more engaging than other forms of content.
- Video is preferred for brand and marketing communication: 36 percent of consumers overall and 46 percent of Millennials prefer video content to other forms of brand and marketing communication.
“Video today has a significant impact on consumers’ choices and buying
decisions, so it’s essential for marketers to understand the most
valuable ways to use it,” said
In addition to seeing an increase in brand engagement after viewing a video on social media, the study supports the need for more interactive content, a rising trend that immediately connects a consumer to a brand. Key findings to support this include:
- 53 percent of consumers overall and 66 percent of Millennials report engaging with a brand after viewing a video on social media. The most common follow up actions reported were visiting the brand’s website (20 percent) and conducting further research (20 percent).
- 45 percent of consumers overall and 57 percent of Millennials find it helpful when videos have a distinct call to action, offering them the ability to engage directly with the brand. More specifically, 35 percent of consumers overall and 41 percent of Millennials expressed interest for links at the end of videos that lead them to more information about the brand and its offerings.
- 23 percent of consumers overall and 30 percent of Millennials want access to links that allow them to directly purchase a product, proving an increase in demand for shoppable content.
- Consumers feel it’s important to see a video when shopping for a specific product online; personal electronics (56 percent), household appliances (52 percent), tools (48 percent), software (47 percent), clothing and makeup (35 percent), and personal care (27 percent).
All figures, unless otherwise stated, are from